Place:


Bickerton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bickerton like this:

BICKERTON, a township and a chapelry in Malpas parish, Cheshire. The township lies 4 miles S of Beeston r. station, and 5 NE of Malpas; and has a post office under Whitchurch. Acres, 1,755. Real property, £2,062. Pop., 379. Houses, 82. Bickerton hill commands a fine view, and has yielded some Roman coins. The chapelry is more extensive than the township; and was constituted in 1843. Pop., 1,357. Houses, 276. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £120.* Patrons, the Rectors of Malpas.

Bickerton through time

Bickerton is now part of Crewe and Nantwich district. Click here for graphs and data of how Crewe and Nantwich has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bickerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bickerton, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3540

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bickerton ".