Place:


Flitton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flitton like this:

FLITTON, a township and a parish in Ampthill district, Beds. The township lies on the river Ivel, 2 ½ miles SE of Ampthill, and 5½ ESE of Lidlington r. station; and has a post office under Ampthill. Acres, 1, 025. Real property, £2, 082. Pop., 597. Houses, 127. The parish includes also the hamlet of Silsoe. ...


Acres, 3, 185. Real property, £5, 930. Pop., 1, 310. Houses, 277. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, 234.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is ancient and good; was much enlarged in 1835; and contains the burial-place of the Grey family, a monument to the fifth Earl of Kent, and a brass of Thomas Hill, who died in 1601, when 128 years old. The vicarage of Silsoe is a separate benefice. Charities, £74.

Flitton through time

Flitton is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flitton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flitton in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3534

Date accessed: 15th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flitton ".