Place:


Stalham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stalham like this:

STALHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tunstead district, Norfolk. The village stands 6½ miles SE of North Walsham r. station; and has a post-office‡ under Norwich, an inn, a police station, a corn-hall, a lecture-room, and a weekly market on Tuesday. The parish comprises 1,792 acres. ...


Real property, £4,626. Pop., 750. Houses, 169. There are two manors. S. Hall is the seat of J.Webb, Esq. Commerce is carried on through the river Ant. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £180.* Patron, the Rev. J. White. The church is mainly old, has a chancel of 1827, and was repaired in 1854. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £49.—The sub-district contains 12 parishes. Acres, 15,794. Pop., 4,031. Houses, 939.

Stalham through time

Stalham is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stalham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stalham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3533

Date accessed: 24th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stalham ".