In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Pocklington like this:
Pocklington, market town, par., and township with ry. sta., East-Riding Yorkshire, 7 miles NW. of Market Weighton and 16½ miles SE. of York by rail - par., 4789 ac., pop. 2980; town and township, 2570 ac., pop. 2733; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Pocklington is a seat of petty sessions, and a prosperous town, with corn mills, flax mills, a brewery, and an iron foundry. In addition to the weekly market there are stock sales on alternate Tuesdays, and important fairs for horses, cattle, sheep, and lambs are held four times a year. The ancient church of Pocklington attracts numbers of tourists. At the grammar school, a richly endowed institution founded in 1515 and rebuilt in 1819, Wilberforce (1759-1833), the philanthropist, was educated.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pocklington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Riding of Yorkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pocklington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pocklington, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pocklington".