Place:


Mallerstang  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mallerstang like this:

MALLERSTANG, a township-chapelry in Kirkby Stephen parish, Westmoreland; on the river Eden, under Wild Boar fell, 3 miles SSE of Kirkby-Stephen r. station. Post town, Kirkby-Stephen, under Penrith. Acres, 1,944., real property, £1,899; of which £15 are in mines. Pop., 232. Houses, 43. ...


Much of the surface is upland. Wild Boar fell rises on the southern-extremity, and commands a very fine view. A bridge, built in 1661 by the Countess of Pembroke, crosses the Eden. Pendragon Castle, situated on the Eden, sprang from a fortalice of Uter Pendragon in the time of Vortigern's; was burnt by the Scots in 1541; underwent complete repair in 1661; was taken. and dismantled by the Earl of Thenet in 1.681; and is now represented by a.ruined square tower, with walls 12 feet thick. Castlethwaite, opposite Pendragon Castle, has a small ancient entrenchment, with ditch and vallum. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlislsle. Value, not reported-Patron, Sir R. Tuftons, Bart The church was rebuilt in 1.663, by the Countess of Pembroke..

Mallerstang through time

Mallerstang is now part of Eden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Eden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mallerstang itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mallerstang, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3514

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mallerstang ".