Place:


Bridlington  East Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Bridlington like this:

Bridlington, market town and par., East-Riding Yorksh., 29 m. N. of Hull, 50 E. by N. of York, and 199 NW. of London by rail-- par., 12,562ac. and 569 foreshore, pop. 9177; town 2624 ac., pop. 8343; 4 Banks, 2 newspapers. Market-day, Saturday; has remains of priory (1106), part of which is still used as the parish church. ...


B. Quay is the port of Bridlington, and a favourite sea-coast resort, its attractions consisting in its parade and ornamental gardens, its fine firm sands, chalk cliffs, magnificent sea-views, and mineral waters, which resemble those of Scarborough and Cheltenham. The harb. is enclosed by 2 stone piers, and is one of the best on the coast. On the N. pier-head is a lighthouse with fixed light seen 8 miles. In Bridlington Bay, stretching N. to Flamborough Head, a fleet of 400 to 500 sail of wind-hound vessels is not unfrequently to be seen anchored at one time.

Bridlington through time

Bridlington is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridlington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridlington, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/351

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bridlington ".