Place:


Saltney  Flintshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saltney like this:

SALTNEY, a village and a township in Hawarden parish, Flint. The village stands on the river Dee, at the boundary with Cheshire, and on the Chester and Holyhead railway, at the junction of the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2 miles S W of Chester; is practically the port of Chester; underwent much enlargement, in recent years, in connexion with railway -works, iron-works, candle-works, manure-works, the opening of collieries, and the establishment of a corn mill and of a wire-rope manufactory; and has a post-office‡ under Chester, and a r. ...


station. The township comprises 2, 185acres. Real property, £7, 517. Pop. in 1851, 854; in 1861, 1, 325. Houses, 266. The manor belonged anciently to Basingwick abbey. Much of the land, till solate as 1778, was an open marsh. Henry II. encampedhere in 1157.

Saltney through time

Saltney is now part of Flintshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Flintshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saltney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saltney in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3504

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saltney ".