Place:


Richmond  North Riding

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Richmond like this:

Richmond, mun. bor., market town, and par., North-Riding Yorkshire, on left bank of river Swale, 42 miles NW. of York and 237 from London by rail, 2520 ac., pop. 4502; P.O., T.O., 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Saturday. The town grew up under the walls of the castle (1071), a fortress of vast strength, now a majestic ruin, occupying the summit of a cliff overlooking the river; it was the prison of William the Lion, King of Scotland, after his defeat at Alnwick. ...


Richmond has remains of 3 monastic institutions, a free grammar school of high reputation, an extensive corn market, iron and brass foundries, a papermill, &c., and gives the title of duke to the family of Lennox. It returned 2 members to Parliament until 1867, and 1 member from 1867 until 1885.

Richmond through time

Richmond is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Richmond itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Richmond, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/350

Date accessed: 22nd September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Richmond ".