Place:


Huntingdon  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Huntingdon like this:

Huntingdon.-- mun. bor. and co. town of Huntingdonshire, on left bank of river Ouse (which connects it with the port of Lynn), 19 miles S. of Peterborough and 59 N. of London, 1116 ac., pop. 4228; 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday; is the Huntantun of the Saxons. The Roman road, Ermine Street, passes through the town, which is connected with Godmanchester by a bridge. ...


Huntingdon has large breweries, carriage works, and mfrs. of patent perforated bricks; while there is also a consnderable trade in agricultural produce, seeds, wool, and timber. Famous nurseries for trees, shrubs, flowers, and plants of every description are in the neighbourhood. Huntingdon was the birth-place of Oliver Cromwell (1599-1658). Huntingon returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.

Huntingdon through time

Huntingdon is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Huntingdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Huntingdon in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/35

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Huntingdon ".