Place:


Whitwell  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitwell like this:

WHITWELL, a parish, with W. village, and part of Nettlecombe tything, in the Isle of Wight; on the coast, 3 miles W of Ventnor r. station. It has a post-office under Godshill, Isle of Wight. Acres, 1,963; of which 80 are water. Real property, £3,389. Pop., 570. Houses, 123. The property is subdivided. W.-Shute is a gap with a steep road through a ridge of hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £100. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is more curious than good.

Whitwell through time

Whitwell is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitwell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitwell, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3497

Date accessed: 22nd November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitwell ".