Place:


Silsoe  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silsoe like this:

SILSOE, a village and a chapelry in Flitton parish, Beds. The village stands near the Midland railway, 3½ miles ESE of Ampthill; was once a market town; and has a post-office under Ampthill, a hotel, and fairs on 13 May and 21 Sept. The chapelry comprises 2,160 acres. Real property, £3,848. Pop., 713. Houses, 150. The manor, with Wrest Park, belongs to Countess Cowper. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ely. Value, £150.* Patron, Countess Cowper. The church was rebuilt in 1830, at a cost of £5,000. There are public schools and a dispensary.

Silsoe through time

Silsoe is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Silsoe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silsoe in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3492

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Silsoe ".