Place:


Hugill  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hugill like this:

HUGIL, a township and a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The township lies on the Kendal and Windermere railway, 2 miles E of Windermere; and contains the hamlets of Ings, Grass-Garth, and BorwickFold. Post town, Kendal. Real property, £2, 069. Pop., 391. Houses, 71. Hugil Hall was the seat of P. ...


Collinson, the naturalist and antiquary. Reston Scar is a prominent feature in the valley. The chapelry includes parts of Hngil and Over-Staveley; and is sometimes called Ings. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £100.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is at Ings; and was built in 1743, by Bateman, a wealthy merchant and a native. Bateman's almshouses have £67 a year, and Wilson's school has £12.

Hugill through time

Hugill is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hugill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hugill, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3486

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hugill ".