Place:


Northleigh  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Northleigh like this:

LEIGH (NORTH), a parish, with a village, in Honiton district, Devon; on an affluent of the river Axe, 3¼ miles SSE of Honiton r. station. Post town, Honiton. Acres, 994. Real property, £1,130. Pop., 253. Houses, 52. The manor belonged to Lord Petre; passed, in 1794, to J. M. Howe, Esq.; and belongs now to Mrs. ...


Proby. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £240. * Patron, J. Woodcock, Esq. The church is ancient; comprises nave, N aisle, and chancel; and contains an ancient oak screen and a small piscina. There are a national school, and charities £21.

Northleigh through time

Northleigh is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Northleigh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Northleigh in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3481

Date accessed: 09th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Northleigh ".