Place:


Whitwood  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitwood like this:

WHITWOOD, a township and two chapelries in Featherstone parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 2 miles E of Normanton r. station, and 4½ NW of Pontefract; and has a post-office under Normanton. Acres, 1,045. Real property, £6,179; of which £2,400 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 576; in 1861, 1,723. ...


Houses, 324. The increase of pop. arose from demand for coals in the neighbouring townships. The manor belongs to Lord Mexborough. The manufacture of earthenware, sanatory pipes, bricks, and tiles is largely carried on. -The chapelries are W.-Mere and W.-St. Philip; and the former was constituted in 1865, the latter in 1866. The livings are rectories in the diocese of York. Value, of W.-M., £150; of Whitwood-St. P., £107. Patron of both, the Archbishop of York. W.-M. church was built in 1865, and is in the early English style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and colliery-schools.

Whitwood through time

Whitwood is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitwood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitwood, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/348

Date accessed: 21st November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitwood ".