Place:


Great Ellingham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Ellingham like this:

ELLINGHAM (Great), a village and a parish in Wayland district, Norfolk. The village stands 2 miles NE of Attleborough r. station; and has a post office under A. The parish comprises 2, 670 acres. Real property, £5, 676. Pop., 717. Houses, 182. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Little Ellingham, in the diocese of Norwich. ...


Value, £735.* Patron, Samuel Colby, Esq. The church is good; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. Rack, the collaborateur of Collinson in the "History of Somerset, " was a native.

Great Ellingham through time

Great Ellingham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Ellingham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Ellingham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3464

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Ellingham ".