Place:


Lezant  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lezant like this:

LEZANT, a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall; between the rivers Inny and Tamar, 4 miles S of Launceston r. station. It contains the villages of Trebollet, Trekenna, and Rezare, and the hamlet of Trewarlet; and its Post town is Launceston. Acres, 4,560. Real property, £5,036. Pop., 815. ...


Houses, 176. The property is divided among a few. Landew, formerly the seat of the Herles, is a chief residence. Trecarrell, now an ivied ruin, was a mansion partly built by Sir John Trecarrell, but never finished. A lead mine is near Landew. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £406.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and contains monuments of the Herles, the Trecarells, and the Trefusises. There were formerly chapels at Landew and Trecarrell. There are now chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists; also national and infant schools.

Lezant through time

Lezant is now part of North Cornwall district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Cornwall has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lezant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lezant in North Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3461

Date accessed: 21st October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lezant ".