Place:


Upper Hardres  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Upper Hardres like this:

HARDRES (UPPER), a parish in Bridge district, Kent; on Stane-street, 4 miles SE of Chartham r. station, and 4½ S of Canterbury. It includes the hamlets of Bossingham and Palmstead; and it has a post-office under Canterbury. Acres, 2,039. Real property, £2,230. Pop., 271. Houses, 59. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Hardres family; one of whom, Sir Robert Hardres, after the siege of Bologne, in the time of Henry VIII., brought over the gates of that town. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Stelling, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £589. * Patrons, E. S. Lumsdaine, Esq., and the Heirs of Lady Hardres. The church is ancient but good; comprises two aisles and a chancel; and contains several very old memorials. An endowed school has £89 a-year; and other charities have £19.

Upper Hardres through time

Upper Hardres is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Upper Hardres itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Upper Hardres, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3452

Date accessed: 14th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Upper Hardres ".