Place:


Llanddeusant  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanddeusant like this:

LLANDDAUSAINT, or LLANTHOYSAINT, a parish, which is also a sub-district, in Llandovery district, Carmarthen; on the rivers Usk and Sawthe, near their source, under the Black mountains at the boundary with Brecon, 6 miles SE by E of Llangadock r. station. It contains the hamlets of Blaensawthe, Gwidre, Maesfynnon, and Quatre-Mawr; and has a fair on 10 Oct. ...


Post town, Llangadock, under Carmarthen. Acres, 10,307. Real property, £3,611. Pop., 848. Houses, 163. The property is divided among a few. Ban-Sir-Gaer mountain here has an altitude of 2,596 feet; and much of the rest of the surface is hilly. A lake is here at the source of the river Sawthe. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Llangadock, in the diocese of St. David's. The church is good, and is dedicated to Sts. Simon and Jude. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel.

Llanddeusant through time

Llanddeusant is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanddeusant itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanddeusant in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3449

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanddeusant ".