Place:


Milnthorpe  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milnthorpe like this:

MILNTHORPE, a village, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Kendal district, Westmoreland. The village stands on the river Kent, at the influx of the river Beetha, near the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 2½ miles N of the boundary with Lancashire, and 8 S of Kendal; consists chiefly of one long well built street, with some handsome houses in the environs; has undergone extensive modern improvement; is a small seaport, the only one in the county, carrying on commerce chiefly in a coasting trade; is also a seat of petty sessions; and has a head post office,‡ a railway station with telegraph, a good inn, a church, an Independent chapel, and a national school. ...


The church was built in 1837; and is a handsome edifice, in the lancet style. One of two workhouses of the Kendal district stands a short distance to the NE; and was built in 1813, at a cost of £5,000. Dallam Tower, the seat of the Wilson family, stands adjacent on the left bank of the Beetha. A weekly-market is held on Friday; fairs, for. cattle, sheep, and horses, are held on 12 May and 17 Oct.; the manufacture of twine, sheeting, sacking, sailcloth, and coarse woollens, and the working of paper mills and flax mills are carried on; and there are, in the neighbourhood, extensive quarries of limestone and marble.—The chapelry includes the village, is in Heversham parish, and was constituted in 1838. Rated property, £3,979. Pop., 1,073. Houses, 213. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £120. Patron, the Vicar of Heversham.—The sub-district contains six townships of Heversham, four of Beetham, and two of Kendal. Pop., 5,994. Houses, 1,139.

Milnthorpe through time

Milnthorpe is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milnthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milnthorpe, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3446

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milnthorpe ".