Place:


Longsleddale  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longsleddale like this:

SLEDDALE (Long), a township-chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; 3¾ miles NE by N of Staveley r. station, and 7 N by W of Kendal. Post town, Kendal. Real property, £1,310. Pop., 137. Houses, 25. The property is subdivided. The surface is a mountain vale, 6½ miles long and about ½ a mile wide; extending south-south-eastward, from Gatescarth pass; traversed by the upper reaches of the river Sprint; flanked by lofty mountains, green and rocky; and containing a pretty cascade, and some fine scenery. ...


The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £69.* Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church was rebuilt in 1712. There is an endowed school with £10 a year.

Longsleddale through time

Longsleddale is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Longsleddale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longsleddale, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3445

Date accessed: 25th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Longsleddale ".