Place:


Hazlewood  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hazlewood like this:

HAZLEWOOD, a township and a chapelry in Duffield parish, Derby. The township lies on the river Derwent and the Midland railway, 1½ mile NNW of Duffield r. station, and 2½ SSW of Belper; and has a post office under Belper. Real property, £2, 397; of which £52 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 392. Houses, 85. The manor belongs to the Rev. Sir Edward R. Jodrell, Bart. The Knowle is the seat of W. W. Hull, Esq.—The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop., 719. Houses, 165. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £200. * Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was built in 1846; and consists of nave and chancel, with a porch. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.-A railway from Duffield to Wirksworth, in progress of formation towards the end of 1865, is now open, and has a station at Hazlewood-Lane.

Hazlewood through time

Hazlewood is now part of Amber Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Amber Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hazlewood itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hazlewood, in Amber Valley and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3427

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hazlewood ".