Place:


Holme Low  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holme Low like this:

HOLME (LOW), a township and a chapelry in HolmeCultram parish, Cumberland. The township lies on the Solway frith, round the terminal part of the Carlisle and Silloth railway; and contains the seaport town of Silloth, which has a post office under Carlisle. Real property in 1860, £8, 266. ...


Pop. in 1851, 922; in 1861, 1, 538. Houses, 297. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of upwards of 100 houses at Silloth, forming the new town there; and a further increase has taken place since 1861.—The chapelry was constituted in 1849; and is less extensive than the township. Pop., 1, 521. Houses, 297. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £220. * Patron, the Incumbent of Holme-Cultram. The church was built in 1845.

Holme Low through time

Holme Low is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Holme Low itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holme Low, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3409

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Holme Low ".