In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Missenden like this:
MISSENDEN (LITTLE), a village and a parish in Wycombe district, Bucks. The village stands on the rivulet Mise or Miss, 2½ miles NW of Amersham, and 5½ ENE of Wycombe r. station; and has a post office under Amersham. The parish comprises 3,173 acres. Real property, £2,604. Pop., 1,089. Houses, 239. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Earl Howe. Missenden House is the seat of J. O. Cuffe, Esq.; and the Abbey, of D. Potter, Esq. The Manor House is the residence of Mrs. Leventhorpe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £280. Patron, Earl Howe. The church is plain, was repaired in 1853, and contains two brasses of the Stiles family. There are two Baptist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £32.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Missenden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chiltern. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Missenden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Missenden, in Chiltern and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Missenden".