Place:


Headley  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Headley like this:

HEADLEY, a village and a parish in Reigate district, Surrey. The village lies under Headley-Hill, 2¼ miles N by W of Betchworth r. station, and 3 SE by E of Leatherhead; and has a post office under Epsom. The parish comprises 1, 630 acres. Real property, £1, 758. Pop., 3 22. Houses, 62. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Hon. Mrs. Howard. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, ££. 162. * Patrons, Heirs of the late Hon. Col. Howard. The church was rebuilt in 1833; is in the early English style; consists of nave and chancel, with a porch; and has ma tower and spire, added in 1839. The churchyard commands a new view to the N. There is a national school.

Headley through time

Headley is now part of Mole Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mole Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Headley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Headley, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3392

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Headley ".