Place:


Pyworthy  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pyworthy like this:

PYWORTHY, a village and a parish in Holsworthy district, Devon. The village stands near the Bude canal, 2¼ miles W S W of Holsworthy, and 12½ N N W of Lifton r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Derriton and Killatree; and its post town is Holsworthy, North Devon. Acres, 5,021. ...


Real property, £3,022. Pop., 567. Houses, 131. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lady Molesworth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. S. W. Tagert. The church is later English, and has a lofty tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, a national school, and charities £24.

Pyworthy through time

Pyworthy is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pyworthy itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pyworthy, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3378

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pyworthy ".