Place:


East Garston  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Garston like this:

GARSTON (East), a parish in Hungerford district, Berks; on the river Kennet, 2¾ miles ESE of Lambourn, and 6 N by E of Hungerford r. station. It has a post office under Hungerford. Acres, 4, 342. Real property, £5, 216. Pop., 589. Houses, 140. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to John of Gaunt, in right of his wife; and was held on the tenure of furnishing a plate-clad knight, to serve the king for forty days, whenever he should be in Kidwelly. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £239.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is a good and handsome edifice, with a square tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.

East Garston through time

East Garston is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Garston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Garston in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3357

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Garston ".