Place:


Llan Ddew  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llan Ddew like this:

LLANTHEW, or LLANDDEW, a parish in the district and county of Brecon; on the river Honddu, 1½ mile NE of Brecon r. station. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 2,695. Real property, £1,352. Pop., 292. Houses, 68. The manor belongs to the Bishop of St. David's. An ancient palace of the bishops stood here; was visited, in 1188, by Archbishop Baldwin and Giraldus; was ordered, by a statute of 1342, to be retained as an episcopal residence; and is now represented by some ruins, including a door-way built by Bishop Gower. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £89. Patron, the Archdeacon of Brecon. The church is dedicated to St. David; is early English and cruciform; and has been greatly mutilated, yet retains traces of pristine beauty.

Llan Ddew through time

Llan Ddew is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llan Ddew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llan Ddew, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3353

Date accessed: 23rd November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llan Ddew ".