In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Twyford like this:
TWYFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Winchester district, Hants. The village stands on the river Itchen, 3 miles S of Winchester r. station; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Winchester.The parish includes Hazeley hamlet, and part of Shawford. Acres, 4,219. Real property, £8,395. Pop., 1,301. Houses, 270. The property is much sub-divided. T. House, T. Lodge, Brambridge House, and Shawford House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £213.* Patron, Emmanuel College, Cambridge. The poet Pope attended a school in the village.The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 18,785. Pop., 4,203. Houses, 882.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Twyford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Winchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Twyford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Twyford, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Twyford".