Place:


Saham Toney  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saham Toney like this:

SAHAM-TONEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Swaffham district, Norfolk. The village stands near the river Wissey, 1½ mile N W of Watton r. station; and has, near its centre, a mere of 13 acres, well stockedwith fish. The parish comprises 4,048 acres. Post-town, Watton, under Thetford. ...


Real property, £6, 972. Pop., 1, 286. Houses, 283. The property is much sub-divided. The manor of S.-T. belongs to T. D. Calthorp, Esq.; and the manors of Howards, Harveys, and Pages, to the Rev W. Gregson. Roman pottery and other Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1, 122.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is later English, and was recently restored. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school with £50a year, a girls' school, a fuel allotment £67, and other charities £39.—The sub-district contains 18 parishes and a part. Acres, 39, 742. Pop., 7, 231. Houses, 1, 563.

Saham Toney through time

Saham Toney is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saham Toney itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saham Toney, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3337

Date accessed: 23rd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Saham Toney ".