Place:


Hockliffe  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hockliffe like this:

HOCKLIFFE, a village and a parish in Woburn district, Beds. The village stands 4 miles ENE of Leighton-Buzzard r. station, and 4¼ NW of Dunstable; consists of one street, about a mile long; and has a postoffice under Leighton-Buzzard. The parish comprises 1, 021 acres. Real property, £2, 643. ...


Pop., 416. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to M. Adams, Esq. The Grange is the seat of Col. R. T. Gilpin. An ancient hospital, for a master and several brethren, was at the village. The parish is a meet for the Rothschild hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £350.* Patron, the Rev. J. S. Neumann. The church is ancient; consists of nave and chancel, with embattled tower; and recently was mainly rebuilt and partly restored. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and a school endowment of £30 a year.

Hockliffe through time

Hockliffe is now part of South Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hockliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hockliffe in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3327

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hockliffe ".