Place:


Ickham  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ickham like this:

ICKHAM, a village and a parish in Bridge district, Kent. The village stands on the Little Stour river, 2½ miles NE of Beaksbourne r. station, and 4½ E of Canterbury; and was anciently called Yecham. The parish contains also Well hamlet, formerly a chapelry. Posttown, Wingham, under Sandwich. ...


Acres, 2, 440. Real property, £6, 475. Pop., 588. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. Lee Priory belonged formerly to the Barrets, and had a monastic appearance; but belongs now to F. Philips, Esq., and has been altered and enlarged in the domestic pointed style. Well Court belonged formerly to the Cliffords. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £997. * Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church consists of nave and aisles, with a cross septiment and a tower; and was recently repaired and beautified. Charities, £15.

Ickham through time

Ickham is now part of Canterbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Canterbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ickham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ickham, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3325

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ickham ".