Place:


Coventry  Warwickshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Coventry like this:

Coventry, parl. and mun. bor. and market town, N. Warwickshire, on the Sherbourne and Radford Brook, 18 miles SE. of Birmingham and 94 NW. of London by rail -- parl. bor., 6448 ac., pop. 46,563; mun. bor., 1430 ac., pop. 42,111; 3 Banks, 6 newspapers. Market-day, Friday. C. is an ancient city (the bishopric, founded in 656, was in 1121 united to the see of Lichfield), with numerous fine old churches, schools, and hospitals. ...


It derives its name (Conventre, or convent town) from a priory built (or rebuilt) in 1043 by Leofric and his wife Lady Godiva, of whom there is a curious and well-known legend. Of its fortifications (dismantled at the Restoration, the town having espoused the side of the Parliament), two gates and some portions of the wall still remain. C. was early celebrated for its mfrs. In the 15th century it was noted for its woollens; then for its dyeing; then for its weaving of camlets, shalloons, &C. At present its staples are ribbons, silk, and watches; but it has also woollens, carpets, cotton, art metalwork, and ironfounding. Numerous fairs are held, and are generally well attended. The bor. returns 1 member to Parliament; it returned 2 members till 1885.

Coventry through time

Click here for graphs and data of how Coventry has changed over two centuries. For statistics for historical units named after Coventry go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coventry in Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/332

Date accessed: 19th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coventry ".