Place:


Kentmere  Westmorland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kentmere like this:

KENTMERE, a township-chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland; on the river Kent, 4 miles N by W of Stavely r. station, and 8½ NNW of Kendal. Post town, Stavely, under Kendal. Real property, £1, 375; of which £12 are in quarries. Pop., 186. Houses, 31. The property is much subdivided. ...


The surface is a glen, commencing in a mountain pass, flanked on the W by the High Street range of mountain, flanked on the E by a lower and moorish mountain ridge, and gradually widening and softening into vale. A marshy lake, about a mile long, called Kentmere tarn, formerly lay in its bottom, surronnded by swamps, and frequented by wild ducks; but this has been drained and made arable. A reservoir, on the hill side, regulates the supply of waterpower to mills at Kendal. An ancient tower here, four stories high, and now a farm house, was the birthplace of Bernard Gilpin. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is ancient, and was recently in disrepair.

Kentmere through time

Kentmere is now part of South Lakeland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Lakeland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kentmere itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kentmere, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3317

Date accessed: 19th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kentmere ".