Place:


Poughill  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poughill like this:

POUGHILL, a village and a parish in Crediton district, Devon. The village stands 6½ miles N N E of Crediton r. station; was anciently called Pohill or Podhill; and has a post-office under Crediton. The parish comprises 1, 663 acres. Real property, £2, 152. Pop., 356. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. ...


The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £221.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early perpendicular English; consists of double nave and chancel, with a tower; had formerly a chantry; and wasthoroughly repaired in 1856. There is a national school, with a small endowment from Pyncombe's charity; acharity of £1,013 a year for schools, small livings, and the poor.

Poughill through time

Poughill is now part of Mid Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poughill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poughill in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3309

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poughill ".