Place:


Poltimore  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Poltimore like this:

POLTIMORE, a village and a parish in St. Thomas district, Devon. The village stands near the river Clist, 2 miles N W of Broad Clist r. station, and 4 N E of Exeter; and has a post-office under Exeter. The parish contains also the hamlet of Ratsloe, and comprises 1, 710 acres. Real property, £2, 985. ...


Pop., 348. Houses, 67. The property is divided between two. The manor cameearly into possession of the Bampfields, and belongs now to their representative, Lord Poltimore. P. House is Lord P. 's seat; and was garrisoned in 1645, by Sir Thomas Fairfax. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Huxham, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £589.* Patron, Lord Poltimore. The church was builtbefore 1390 by John Bampfield; is decorated English; consists of nave, aisles and chancel, with a tower; and contains a carved screen, and monuments of the Bampfields. There are alms-houses with £19 a year, and other charities £5.

Poltimore through time

Poltimore is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Poltimore itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Poltimore in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3308

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Poltimore ".