Place:


Glasbury  Radnorshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Glasbury like this:

GLASBURY, a village, a township, and a parish in the district of Hay, and partly in Brecon, partly in Radnor. The village stands on the river Wye, adjacent to the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4 miles SW of Hay; is a pretty place; and has a post office under Hereford, and a railway station. A wooden bridge here, of great length and height, connects Brecon with Radnor. ...


-The township includes the village, and comprises 3, 400 acres. Pop., 768. Houses, 162. Pop. of the Brecon portion, 204. Houses, 48.—The parish contains also the hamlets of Pipton, Tregoyd, and Velindre. Acres, 9, 216. Real property of the Brecon portion, £2, 757; of the Radnor portion, £4, 494. Pop. of the whole, 1, 264. Houses, 262. Pop. of the Brecon portion, 700. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. Glasbury House belonged to the Hugheses, and is now the seat of Mrs. Papendick. Maeslough Castle, an edifice of 1829, is the seat of Walter de Winton, Esq.; and occupies a situation which Gilpin pronounced "the finest of the kind in Wales." Tregoyd, an edifice of the time of Elizabeth, belonged to the Watkinses, and is now the seat of Viscount Hereford. Gwernyfed, also an edifice of the time of Elizabeth, and having a court-yard with two round towers, belonged to the Cliffords and to the Williamses, gave entertainment in 1645 to Charles I., and is now the seat of Col. Wood. An ancient British camp, called Gaer, is on an eminence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Davids. Value, £382.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Davids. The church is a modern edifice, in the Norman style. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £9.

Glasbury through time

Glasbury is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Glasbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Glasbury, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3304

Date accessed: 16th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Glasbury ".