Place:


Hockering  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hockering like this:

HOCKERING, a parish, with a village, in Mitford district, Norfolk; on a branch of the river Wensum, 5 miles NE of Thuxton r. station, and 5¾ E of East Dereham. It has a postal pillar under Dereham. Acres, 1, 931. Real property, £4, 049. Pop., 387. Houses, 87. The property is divided among a few. ...


The manor belongs to T. T. Berney, Esq. There are traces of an old castle. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Burgh-Mattishall, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £569.* Patron, T. T. Berney, Esq. The church is early English; has a lofty later English tower; was recently restored; and contains three stalls, carved oak seats, and a fine octagonal font. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £37.

Hockering through time

Hockering is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hockering itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hockering, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3297

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hockering ".