Place:


Drayton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Drayton like this:

DRAYTON, a parish in St. Faith district, Norfolk; near the river Wensum, 4½ miles NW of Norwich. It has a post office under Norwich. Acres, 1, 332. Real property, £2, 587. Pop., 451. Houses, 95. The pro. perty is much subdivided. Drayton House was the seat of the Latons. Many of the inhabitants are employed in paper-mills in the adjoining parish of Taverham. ...


The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Hellesdon, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £700. Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church's chancel was rebuilt in 1865. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £14.

Drayton through time

Drayton is now part of Broadland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Broadland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Drayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Drayton, in Broadland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3296

Date accessed: 18th July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Drayton ".