Place:


Wing  Buckinghamshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wing like this:

WING, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Leighton-Buzzard district, Bucks. The village stands 2½ miles SW of Leighton-Buzzard r. station, and has a post-office under Leighton-Buzzard.—The parish includes 4 hamlets, and comprises 5,310 acres. Real property, £9,331. Pop. ...


in 1851, 1,376; in 1861, 1,504. Houses, 306. The property is subdivided. W. park belonged to the Dormers, passed to the Earl of Chesterfield, and was bought by Lord Overstone; but the mansion of it has been taken down. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £400.* Patron, Lord Overstone. The church is of different periods, from Saxon or early Norman onwards; and was restored in 1850. An alien priory was at Ascott. There are parochial schools, alms houses for 8 persons, and other charities £18.—The sub-district contains 3 parishes. Acres, 11,010. Pop., 2,492. Houses, 500.

Wing through time

Wing is now part of Aylesbury Vale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aylesbury Vale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wing, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3287

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wing ".