Place:


Pott Shrigley  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pott Shrigley like this:

POTT-SHRIGLEY, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Prestbury parish, Cheshire; on the Macclesfieldcanal, 2 miles E by S of Adlington r. station, and 4 N N E of Macclesfield. Post-town, Bollington, under Macclesfield. Acres, 1, 719. Real property, £2.833: of which £480 are in mines. ...


Pop., 450. Houses, 86. Shrigley Hall is the seat of the Rev. Dr. Lowther: and Pott Hall, of G. Swindells, Esq. There is a fire-brick and chimney-pipe manufactory. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £100.* Patron, Miss Turner, The church is old but good; consists of nave, three aisles, transept, and chancel, with embattled tower; and contains mural monuments of the Downes family. Charities, £10.

Pott Shrigley through time

Pott Shrigley is now part of Macclesfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Macclesfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pott Shrigley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pott Shrigley, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3284

Date accessed: 11th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pott Shrigley ".