Place:


Hinton Waldrist  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hinton Waldrist like this:

HINTON-WALDRIST, or HINTON-ST. WALERY, a village and a parish in Faringdon district, Berks. The village stands near the river Isis at the boundary with Oxford, 5¾ miles NNW of Wantage-Road r. station and 6½ ENE of Great Faringdon; and was once a market town. The parish contains also the hamlet of Duxford. ...


Post town, Faringdon. Acres, 2, 180. Real property, £4, 367. Pop., 329. Houses, 67. The property, with Hinton House, belongs to J. L. Symonds, Esq. Buildingstone is quarried. Traces of an ancient camp are near Windmill hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £470.* Patron, J. L. Symonds, EsqThe church is cruciform, very ancient, and in very mixed styles of architecture, chiefly early English; has a W tower; and, excepting the nave, was all recently restored.

Hinton Waldrist through time

Hinton Waldrist is now part of Vale of White Horse district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale of White Horse has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hinton Waldrist itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hinton Waldrist, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3279

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hinton Waldrist ".