Place:


Clifton  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clifton like this:

CLIFTON, a parish and a hundred in Beds. The parish is in Biggleswade district; and lies adjacent to the river Ivel and the Great Northern railway, 1 ½ mile NW of Arlesey r. station, and 4½ SSW of Biggleswade. Post town, Shefford, under Biggleswade. Acres, 1, 420. Real property, £4, 546. ...


Pop., 1, 478. Houses, 289. The property is much subdivided. Clifton-Spinnies is a meet for the Oakley hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £439.* Patron, H. Miles, Esq. The church was recently restored and enlarged. There are a Baptist chapel, a recent national school, and charities £12. -The hundred lies around the parish; marche. with Herts; and contains eight parishes and part of another. Acres, 20, 007. Pop., 10, 224. Houses, 1, 949.

Clifton through time

Clifton is now part of Mid Bedfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Bedfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clifton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clifton in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3273

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clifton ".