Place:


Weybourne  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weybourne like this:

WEYBOURNE, a parish, with a village, in Erpingham district, Norfolk; on the coast, 3¾ miles NE of Holt, and 12½ ENE of Walsingham r. station. It has a post-office under Thetford, and a coastguard station; and it carries on malting, brewing, fishing, and fish-curing. Acres, 1,680; of which 80 are water. ...


Real property, £1, 843. Pop., 285. Houses, 69. The manor belongs to the Earl of Orford. An Augustinian friary was founded here in the time of King John, and has left some remains. The living is a donative in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £50. Patron, the Earl of Orford. The church is later English.

Weybourne through time

Weybourne is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weybourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weybourne in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3266

Date accessed: 15th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weybourne ".