In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bovingdon like this:
BOVINGDON, a parish in Hemel-Hempstead district, Herts; on the verge of the county, near the Northwestern railway and the Grand Junction canal, 2½ miles SW of Boxmoor r. station, and 3¼ SSE of Berkhampstead. It has a post office under Hemel-Hempstead. Acres, 3,958. Real property, £6,087. Pop., 1,155. Houses, 241. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Hon. G. D. Ryder. The church is good; and there are a chapel-of-ease, two Independent chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, three industrial schools, and charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bovingdon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dacorum. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bovingdon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bovingdon, in Dacorum and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bovingdon".