Place:


Ticknall  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ticknall like this:

TICKNALL, or Tickenhall, a parish, with a village, in the district of Ashby-de-la-Zouch and county of Derby; 5½ miles N of Ashby-de-la-Zouch r. station. It has a post-office under Derby. Acres, 1,867. Real property, £4,276; of which £242 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,241; in 1861, 1,068. ...


Houses, 246. The decrease of pop. was caused by stoppage of lime-works, and by depression of the fancy-knitting trade. The manor belongs to Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. Malting, brewing, and market-gardening are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £250. Patron, Sir J. H. Crewe, Bart. The church was rebuilt in 1842, and has a tower and fine spire. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, an endowed school with £16 a year, and alms houses with £80.

Ticknall through time

Ticknall is now part of South Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ticknall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ticknall in South Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3259

Date accessed: 16th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ticknall ".