Place:


Hayes  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hayes like this:

HAYES, a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands 2 miles S of Bromley r. station, and 2½ E of the boundary with Surrey; and has a post-office under Bromley, London SE. The parish comprises 1,272 acres. Real property, £4,055. Pop., 598. Houses, 117. The property is subdivided. ...


Hayes Place, adjacent to the church, was the seat of the Earl of Chatham, and the birth-place of his son, William Pitt. Hayes Common is a piece of land S of the village; and Pickhurst and Langley Park are a mile W. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £275.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early English; was restored and extended in 1856, with re-placement of a spire, in 1862, at a cost of £2,500; and contains several ancient brasses and a few monuments There are an endowed school, and charities £12.

Hayes through time

Hayes is now part of Bromley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bromley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hayes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hayes, in Bromley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3246

Date accessed: 18th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hayes ".