Place:


Kniveton  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kniveton like this:

KNIVETON, a parish, with a village, in Ashborne district, Derby; 3 miles NE of Ashborne r. station. Post town, Ashborne. Acres, 2, 240. Real property, . £3, 683. Pop., 315. Houses, 73. Most of the land is. rich pasture. Here are a cotton mill and lime worksThe living is a p. curacy in the diocese of LichfieldValue, £64. Patron, John Harrison, Esq. The church is ancient; and has a good Norman door, and a low tower and spire. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a free school, and charities £11.

Kniveton through time

Kniveton is now part of Derbyshire Dales district. Click here for graphs and data of how Derbyshire Dales has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kniveton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kniveton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3240

Date accessed: 20th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kniveton ".