Place:


Godshill  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Godshill like this:

GODSHILL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in the Isle of Wight. The village stands near the Medina river, 5½ miles SSE of Newport; is a pretty place; and has a post office under Southampton, and an inn. The parish includes also Appuldurcombe, Stenbury, Roud, Sandford, and Rookley. ...


Acres, 6, 535. Real property, £10, 851. Pop., 1, 215. Houses, 237. The property is much subdivided. The surface is diversified; comprises much fine scenery; and includes vantage-grounds, one of them the churchyard, commanding brilliant views. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Niton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is large, cruciform, and partly decorated English; has a western pinnacled tower, in perpendicular English; and contains a rich altar-tomb to Sir J. Leigh of the time of Henry VIII., and several handsome monuments to the Worsley family. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians, national schools, and charities £39. Dean Cole, a persecutor in the time of Mary, was a native. See Appuldurcombe.

Godshill through time

Godshill is now part of the Isle of Wight district. Click here for graphs and data of how the Isle of Wight has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Godshill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Godshill, in The the Isle of Wight and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3237

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Godshill ".