Place:


Keston  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Keston like this:

KESTON, a parish in Bromley district, Kent; 3½ miles S by E of Bromley r. station. It contains, on its NW border, two villages 3 and 3½ miles S by E of the r. station; includes, in its centre, an open high common, with a fine view; is within the jurisdiction of the metropolitan police; and has a post office under Bromley, London SE. ...


Acres, 1, 474. Real property, £4, 012. Pop., 690. Houses, 139. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Col. J. F. Lennard. Keston House is the seat of Mrs. Carter; Forest Lodge, of Lady Caroline Legge; and Holwood Park, of Lord Cranworth. Holwood was the seat of William Pitt. A Roman camp was on Holwood Hill; and many Roman relics have been found. See HOLWOOD-HILL. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £272.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is small, and possesses little interest. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a national school.

Keston through time

Keston is now part of Bromley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bromley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Keston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Keston, in Bromley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3222

Date accessed: 13th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Keston ".