Place:


Llanfihangel Abergwesyn  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Abergwesyn like this:

LLANFIHANGEL-ABERGWESSIN, a parish, with a small village, in Builth district, Brecon; on the river Irvon, at the influx of the Gwessin, under Drugarn mountain, 12 miles W by N of Builth. Post town, Builth, Breconshire. Acres, 6,836. Real property, £652. Pop., 355. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. ...


Lwyn Madoc is a chief residence. Most of the land is moorish and mountainous. Drugarn mountain has an altitude of 2,071 feet. Slate and lead ore are found. The living is a p. curacy, united with the p. curacy of Llanddewi-Abergwessin, in the diocese of St. David's. Value and patron, not reported. The church is tolerable. Charities, £13.

Llanfihangel Abergwesyn through time

Llanfihangel Abergwesyn is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Abergwesyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Abergwesyn, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3221

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Abergwesyn ".